Saturday, July 12, 2008

I'm Moving to Hong Kong!!

So, the decision has finally arrived. I am moving to Hong Kong with the DeMallman's in late September. They found a little house that they like very much, just about 20 minutes from the city center. Victoria's impression of the city was that it is much smaller than one would think--you can go from one end of the city to the other in under 30 minutes on the tram--and that it is very very safe. She said it's pretty commercial, with tons of designer shops (so I guess I won't be shopping much), and not a whole lot of traditional culture left. But, it's a quick train ride to the mainland if one wants to soak up some Chinese culture. If all goes according to plan, I will be there until mid-December, and then I'll go home to Texas for Christmas, and return to Geneva or somewhere else in France to work for a new family in January. 

It seems kind of unreal that I'm going to do this. Who could have predicted that I would end up spending 3 months in Hong Kong?! I'm really excited, though, to get this opportunity because I probably would have otherwise never travelled to Asia. I really hope that I get a chance to see some things in the region and some of the surrounding countries. And hey, Australia is that much closer (I think it's still about a 10 hour flight), so maybe I'll take a big trip :)

1 comment:

Lynn said...

What a lovely adventure. And from HK it's an easy trip to Thailand and Japan. I haven't been there in nearly 20 years, but Bangkok was spectacular and not like anything else I've ever seen. Of course there was that pesky typhoon warning when I was in HK. It made the ferry a tad rocky.