Saturday, June 7, 2008

Fondue and Crepes

So, I had my first experience with Swiss fondue last night. The weather has been complete crap--cold and rainy--so Victoria made fondue, which is apparently THE thing to have in cold weather. Basically, they melt 2 types of cheese together (I can't remember the types, but they were typically Swiss, made in this region), and then we dip bits of bread into it. Victoria was worried that I wouldn't like it because the smell is pretty intensely bad, but how could anyone not like melted cheese?! It was amazing, so incredibly delicious and cholesterol filled that I almost felt like I was eating Tex-Mex. It definitely satisfied my craving for queso.

Then, this morning I had crepes for breakfast. By the time I got up, Victoria and Ben had taken the kids into Geneva to run some errands, but they left me some crepe mix in the fridge. They did not, however, leave instructions. I had the general idea, I've made crepes before--put it in the pan, swirl it around, wait for it to cook, and viola! bon appetit! Things didn't go quite that smoothly. They have this hi-tech stove, so I wasn't sure how hot it needed to be. I burned the first two attempts trying to figure that out. After that, I successfully made 2 edible crepes--a little undercooked, but better that than burned. I smothered them in powdered sugar an strawberries and blueberries--this house always has tons of fantastic fruit around, which I love. It ended up being quite satisfying, though I may ask Victoria to let me watch her do it properly next time.

Basically thus far, French and Swiss food is awesome.

4 comments:

Chris McMillan said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Robin said...

Successfully cooking in another country my little bets is growing up...but seriously I'm impressed!!!

Unknown said...

You totally need to intro them to queso. Let me know if I need to mail you the proper ingredients. (Cheese....cheese...and more cheese...anything else?)

Jess

The Favorite said...

Wow - I'm starting to resent you and all this yummy food. That cheese and fruit sounds so good!

Are crepes those girly little pancakes you tried to make?