Tuesday, June 3, 2008

Should I Move to Hong Kong?

Yeah, that's right. The title is a serious question, not a figurative one. A couple of days ago, Victoria and Ben approached me to tell me that on the very same day I arrived (note the irony), Ben was offered a position with his company that requires a several year move to Hong Kong, starting in September...

None of us saw that coming, huh?

They were very cute when they told me--they seemed so nervous, and Victoria kept apologizing, like I would be mad or something. I'm not mad. It's unexpected, and it's kind of unfortunate that things have to change when I feel like I've found the ideal situation, but shit happens. They gave me 2 options. First, I can work for them until September and they will help me find a family in the area to work for after they leave. Second, I can move with them to Hong Kong in September, stay until December when I come home for Christmas, and then come back to Geneva, or anywhere else really, to work for someone for another 6 months. Just a note, though, we do have to find out first whether or not the company will allow them to take me to Hong Kong; we won't know until the final meeting in the first week of July.

I want some opinions. What does everyone think? Go to Hong Kong, or stick with Europe as I had originally planned?

Some things I've considered: When else would I get the chance to move to Hong Kong, free of charge, in some amazing company accommodations? Why not stay as long as I can with a family that I really like? Wouldn't it look great on my law school applications and future resumes to say that I've lived in Scotland, France and Hong Kong? Why not, it's only 3 months, and if I hate it I can leave early. HOWEVER, I've never had a great interest in Asian culture, or in traveling in Asia. I'm far more interested in traveling in Europe, and that's where I am now. Can I afford to lose 3 months of French lessons, 3 months of making lasting friendships? I don't know what life is like for a Americans in Hong Kong--will I be able to make friends, or will I sit for 3 months in a high-rise apartment building with only toddlers for company? Will it be easier to find another family in Geneva if I can start in Sept instead of December, since apparently that's when a lot of families get new au pairs?

These are my thoughts so far. I would really like some opinions--post them here, or email me if you'd rather. I promise to write something more frivolous next time, and to take some pictures--it looks like the weather might improve, so I'll see what looks amazing enough to make everyone jealous :)

3 comments:

Unknown said...

BETSY!!

that's insane, yet so typical.haha If I were you and you have the option to travel with them to Hong Kong - I would go. It's the best of both worlds because you get to stay with a family you love as well as see another part of the world you will never see otherwise. And since you love Europe it still works out because you can come back for the last 6 months...which is still a really long time.

I mean -- we were only in Scotland for 5 months. But obvs it's up to you and your comfort level. I will ask my dad about Hong Kong for you-- I know he's been for work and i'll see if it's happening or if you will be forced to play with lil boys the whole time.

I miss you tons!!!

and HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!!! I hope they bake you something wonderful...when I visit I will brign lots of baked goods.hehe

love

shellbag

David Ben said...

Betsy -

First I must start off by saying that HOLY CRAP, how man people would have that problem in the first place?

My opinion is that you should go to Hong Kong for a few months. I really think the experience to go to a different continent and experience that culture on someone else's dime would be amazing. You should go to Hong Kong until Christmas and then get a new family after Christmas for the following 6 months. This way you get to experience two new families, 2 new cultures, 2 new ways of life, and you'll still get to spend 6 months in Europe.

Theoretically, how much you were you actually going to travel in Europe the first six months you were in France? I'm sure you don't want to take off too soon. Then I'm sure with the lovely European Winters, you weren't going to get in but a trip or maybe two. So I don't think there is too much opportunity cost in going to Hong Kong.

You'll have 6 months, 4 months of spring, to travel around Europe. You'll meet a new family and still get to have the French/Swiss lifestyle you would like.

Also, remember that Hong Kong was a British Province for many, many years. It's a VERY Americanized/Britishized city. English is spoken a lot through out the city. My friends that have been there have said that that city is like the Manhattan of China. It's kind of a land of its own, and not a "real" part of China. I've never been, but I have several folks who have been and loved it.

I know it's a big deal and will require a lot of thought. In the end, I think you should follow you're instinct, it rarely leads you wrong.

Love you! And Happy Birthday my love!!!

-d-

Lynn said...

I'd say definitely Hong Kong. I had to be dragged to Asia but once I got there it was fascinating and it's someplace that's hard to do on your own. Lots of expat stuff there to do. And to be practical, it would also look quite nice on a resume.
hugs,
aunt lynn