Friday, May 30, 2008

The Never Ending Cold

So, I've decided to write in my blog every chance I get, even when I have nothing interesting to say. Here goes.

I have a cold that won't quit--it started as stuffy sinuses from the plane ride, but has progressed into a runny nose and a very sore throat from all of the coughing. Victoria is into homeopathic remedies, so I've taken a lot of mysterious looking herbs in little white pill form. It hasn't helped much, but it seems impolite to mention that to her. The boys (by this I will always mean Henry and Alesio, the kids I take care of) both had colds yesterday too (I hope not from me). Victoria gives them homeopathic remedies too, but often in suppository form...I assume that right now you're making the wide-eyed, slightly freaked out face that I made when she said this. She assures me that it's much better for them, and easy to do...I remain freaked out at the idea that I will eventually have to administer one.

Victoria and I went into Geneva yesterday--about a 40 minute drive from the house--and signed me up for French lessons to begin at the end of June. Geneva has a nice feel to it. There is an old town in the center with all of the buildings standing from the 16th century--mostly occupied by museums and bars--and outside of that everything is very modern and metropolitan. It still has a small-town feel to it, though, and a lot of character. I really like it. The Jet D'eau (water jet in the middle of Lake Geneva) is bigger in reality than it looks in pictures.

Last night I also went into Geneva with Sharon, the au pair for one of Victoria's best friends, who I met when they all came over for a play-date between their kids. Saying that makes me feel incredibly domestic and boring. Sharron has been here for a year, but has not bothered to learn french, so we went to an Irish pub where the staff speaks english. She's very nice, and outgoing, and she already has friends, to I think she's a good person to know as I try to build a social life here. I drove my car into town for the outing (I'm thinking of naming him Thunder), and it went well; it's actually easier to drive than Jenny the Jetta was...

Last random thing: Victoria told me that in 2 weeks we are going to a house in the South of France, on the coast, near St. Tropez...life is rough.

3 comments:

The Favorite said...

Next time...don't open with the sepository story. Thats more of a closer kind of thing.

Everything you described post that story had a floating booty over it and looked like a Monty Python Skit.

John Walters said...

"going to the south of France"....how very European!...on holiday I suppose?...have a great time...like the name for your car...

Unknown said...

Victoria is right...meds are better absorbed via suppository (FYI).

Also, I am extremely jealous of your trip to the South of France, but I am glad to hear that you think fondly of Jenny the Jetta. Feel comfort in knowing that Lightning is safe in Waco! (He is getting an alignment next week!!!

-Jess